AFREZZA® - A Novel Ultra Rapid-Acting Insulin
AFREZZA® (pronounced uh-FREZZ-uh) is a novel, ultra rapid-acting mealtime insulin therapy in late stage clinical investigation for the treatment of adult patients with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus for the control of hyperglycemia. It is a drug-device combination product, consisting of AFREZZA inhalation powder pre-metered into single use dose cartridges and the light, discreet and easy-to-use AFREZZA inhaler.
We believe that AFREZZA is able to satisfy diabetes patients’ needs by being highly synchronized with the normal digestion of a typical meal.
To date, the AFREZZA clinical program has involved 56 different studies of AFREZZA and over 5,300 adult patients. In clinical trials that compared AFREZZA to present "state of the art" insulin treatment, AFREZZA has shown:
- A significant reduction in post-meal glucose fluctuations, which are believed to be an important risk factor in the development of complications
- The ability to achieve comparable levels of overall glucose control
- Lower fasting glucose levels
- A lower risk of hypoglycemia, which is considered to be a major problem for patients
- Less weight gain than is typically associated with other insulin treatments
In a two-year pulmonary safety study in Type 1 and Type 2 adult diabetes patients, the changes in pulmonary function tests associated with AFREZZA were comparable to the changes seen in patients treated using usual care, consisting of insulin or oral therapies. The most common adverse events reported during AFREZZA clinical trials were hypoglycemia and mild, transient, non-productive cough.
We believe that AFREZZA has the potential to change diabetes therapy by offering significant benefits to the growing population of patients with diabetes.
For a list of AFREZZA publications, click here.